11 September 2012
Henryk Sławik Memorial Conference: September 14, 2012
The Embassy of the Polish Republic in Budapest, in cooperation with the Polish Institute and the Holocaust memorial Center will stage a conference commemorating Henryk Sławik on 14 September 2012.
By this event, homage will be paid to the memory of the Polish national hero, who rescued the lives of thousands of people, Polish military and civilians, as well as some 5000 Jews in the bloodshed of WWII.
As of 1939, Henryk Sławik, Polish politician and journalist, as leader of the Citizen's Committee for Help for Polish Refugees has been cooperating with József Antall (Senior), member of the Hungarian ministry of internal affairs responsible for the civilian refugees and his circle. By their persistent efforts, an orphanage and school has been established in Vác for Jewish refugee children from Poland, officially under the name of Home for Polish Officers’ Orphans. He remained faithful to his moral values, as he remained loyal to his comrade in arms and friend József Antall, even when tortured by Gestapo after the German occupation of Hungary. He was executed by Nazi Germans in Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp on 26 August 1944. The Israeli Yad Vashem Institute bestowed on him the Righteous Among the Nations award in 1990.
At the occasion of the conference, Duna Televízió will broadcast the documentary produced by Grzegorz Łubczyk and Marek Maldis in 2004 “The Polish Wallenberg” on 14 September at 4:15 PM.
09,15 a.m. Wreathing ceremony at the Henryk Sławik memorial plaque (Budapest, Garibaldi Street 3)
10,00 a.m. Ceremonial opening of the conference at the Holocaust Memorial Center
- Roman Kowalski, Ambassador of the Republic of Poland to Hungary,
- Bába Iván, State Secretary of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
- Eleni Tsakopoulos Kounalakis, Ambassador of the United States of America to Hungary,
- Karin Olofsdotter, Ambassador of Kingdom of Sweden to Hungary,
- Ilan Mor, Ambassador of Israel to Hungary.
- HENRYK SŁAWIK. POLITICS AND SOCIAL ACTIVISM UNTIL 1939: Dr. Tomasz Kurpierz, historian, researcher of the Institute of National Remembrance in Katowice,
- HENRYK SŁAWIK IN HUNGARY: Károly Kapronczay, historian, author of numerous publications on Polish refugee issues during WWII, deputy chair of the Hungarian Polish Mixed Committee of Historians of ELTE
- HENRYK SŁAWIK, HERO OF THREE NATIONS: Grzegorz Łubczyk, writer, publicist, documentary film author, former Ambassador of the Republic of Poland to Hungary, chronicler of life, human and historical greatnes of Henryk Sławik.
- CLOSING REMARKS: Prof. Dr. Szabolcs Szita, director, Holocaust Memorial Center
- Embassy of the Polish Republic to Hungary
- Polish Institute in Budapest
- Holocaust memorial Center
The conference will be in Hungarian, with English simultaneous translation.
The conference is open to public based on a prior registration at the budapest.info@ e-mail address. instytutpolski.org
Live broadcast in English and Hungarian will be available on the homepage of the Holocaust Memorial Center.
Source: Holocaust Memorial Center